Wednesday, March 19, 2008

An Introduction

Anonymous blogs! All the rage! Or, at least, during my recent job search I've found a lot of good advice and perspective in the blogs that do exist out there, particularly (but not limited to!) Science Women. As a woman looking to remain in academia, blogs by experienced women scientists have been a huge help in deciding exactly what I want to do with the next stage of my life. These women may not realize that they have a huge following of younger female wanna-be professors!

Somehow, I managed to land a tenure-track position for the coming academic year, at a small liberal arts institution in the Midwest. As a graduate of a similar institution who went on to Research 1 University (R1U) for her graduate work, the smaller school was my preference; I received an offer and passed up interviews at larger institutions. Who knows if I would have actually ended up with offers from larger schools, but I'm happy with my current situation and I'm hopeful that it will be everything I was looking for!

And there, most likely, is the rub: I realize I'm incredibly naive, idealistic and hopeful at this point. Perhaps that's not such a bad thing, or maybe it will be beaten out of me all too soon. I'm starting this blog as a record of my journey as an Assistant Professor at a smaller school, as larger Universities seem to be better-represented in the blogosphere. I'd also like to make my experiences readable and accessible to people I know without having to friend-protect my posts, which I would have to do on a more personal blog.

I'm currently finishing up my PhD, and this blog probably won't see much action until I actually move on, both physically and mentally, from graduate school. However, I recently submitted my course descriptions for the coming academic year and am becoming increasingly distracted from the dissertation! Hopefully, that won't keep me from meeting upcoming deadlines....

3 comments:

Dr. Shellie said...

Congratulations on your new job!

Liberal Arts Lady said...

Thanks! :)

Karina said...

Wow! I'm really excited to find you blog. I'd eventually like to teach at an undergraduate institution. I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures as a young professor at a SLAC.