Saturday, May 3, 2008

Doctor Lady

The defense went well, the talk was good, the post-talk session was very collegial and not at all unpleasant, and none of it took very long. Afterward we had snacks and drinks, followed by dinner and drunkenness. A good day in general, though I don't think any of it has sunk in yet.

I didn't really expect to feel different upon being called "Doctor" for the first time (in the unofficial, post-defense but pre-graduation sense), but somehow I expected some kind of relief or accomplished feeling. So far I've been just as annoyed as usual by all the other things about my life here that drive me crazy, only slightly surprised that this is actually the end of my grad school career and I've finally accomplished what I came here to do, and mostly trying to remember all the things that I've been putting off until after my defense.

And I'm a little disturbed by my advisor's comments after congratulating me, which went something along the lines of, "Your life will never be this easy again."

Fabulous.

2 comments:

flickamawa said...

congrats, and welcome to the blogosphere. I'm glad to see a voice from a soon to be science prof at a liberal arts college, as that's something I've always wanted to learn more about.

Candid Engineer said...

Congratulations, doctor. :o)