Monday, August 11, 2008

oh yeah, there's work to be done...

We've gotten to that "oh those few boxes can just wait" stage of unpacking, which may potentially last until Christmas. Especially because Partner is antsy to get painting. Which is fine with me, because I have this class to teach pretty soon, and it looks like the rest of academia may be gearing up as well.

My session in the big _____ science meeting this fall was just moved to early morning on the very first day (Gah!). This makes me very glad I had already booked a hotel room for the night before the start of the conference, but also makes me sad that I'll have to get my shit together and be a functional scientist so early on my first day in Conference Town. But at least I'll get my talk out of the way.

I also got some reviews back on a manuscript from my dissertation, which gives me more to do during the next few weeks. And that's great, except that one of the reviewers is on crack, writing totally stupid (read: if I didn't have to respond they would be amusing) things about my research area and generally driving me crazy. I'm afraid I'm going to fail in my efforts to keep the attitude out of my reply; I guess I'll have to go back and edit my editorial responses before I send them. Thank you to the sane reviewer who actually wrote insightful, useful criticism. Wherever you are.

No comments: