Tuesday, January 20, 2009

perhaps I am overly sensitive

I've been reading Kenneth Deffeyes' 2005 book, "Beyond Oil" (ya know, because I like to get all depressed about the future) and I came across this aside in his final chapter (p. 177):

"Of course, the methods for human population control are enormously controversial. One contraceptive measure seems to be humane and acceptable: If you teach calculus to teenage girls, they go on to have far fewer babies. Calculus is the contraceptive of the future. It doesn't work for boys."

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find that funny, even though I know that Deffeyes is going for humor here. The fact that educated females are often pressured to put off having families because of their careers is not a good thing, or an acceptable thing, as implied.

Also, I am annoyed that one stupid paragraph kinda soured me to the rest of it, which wasn't bad.

No comments: