Tuesday, September 22, 2009

kicking my ass

This term, life is really getting in the way. I haven't been writing (as you may have noticed) - I also haven't been doing any of the other million things I'm supposed to be doing. I haven't been getting to bed early enough to get up early enough to get my ass to the gym, which means that I'm about to go exercise-deprivation-crazy except that I've squeezed in a couple of half-hour yoga sessions just to keep myself sane.

Partner is also crazy, working way too many hours plus a commute, and often getting home with just enough time to shower and eat before having to get to bed in order to get a decent amount of sleep. Which means that I'm on house-stuff duty, until his schedule slows down (in a month or two). I don't mind doing the house stuff, like taking out the garbage, doing the laundry, grocery shopping; I have way more time for that stuff right now than he does (in the sense that "way more time" means "any time at all"). But it is bad timing that we're both going insane at the same time.

Also, I think I've actually found a wedding photographer (will be meeting hopefully next week). Maybe a DJ. Maybe a baker. Maybe I should be spending my time on other things. Probably, yes. The fact that our roof is now leaking just a little bit is not helping me deal with my list of people I need to call, even for non-work-related purposes. Once the wedding "vendor" stuff is out of the way, I will be happier.

Partner and I both have family stuff going on. We both have business-related travel coming up. We both end up spending the few hours we get on the weekend (= Sunday) doing something together instead of working on whatever needs doing, which is always nice but doesn't help us to get ahead.

All this is pushing me one step farther toward canceling my early-winter field work plans (mid-winter field work plans are still a go, and also part of the reason I don't want to be gone for several weeks during the early winter). At this point I should probably just say they're canceled, since my list of cons is quite a bit longer than the pros and there's really only one person who would even be slightly annoyed at me for canceling. Since that person is a student of mine they'll just have to suck it up.

So, Fall 2009, you are kicking my ass, and I hope that having acknowledged that fact means that you'll let up a little. Seriously. Don't give me anything else to deal with, or I think my head will explode.

No comments: