Saturday, September 26, 2009

organization

I tend to function on a system of piles (hey I know I'm not the only one!), particularly when I get busy. Unfortunately for me, I had a fairly complicated system of such piles in my office left over from last Spring, and I had forgotten exactly what the system was supposed to be. So I've been working around some "unknown" papers and things so far this term, until today. I knew that I had some papers somewhere that I had collected for the manuscript I'm trying to write right now, so the time had come to actually re-organize my office and enter all of that new material into my EndNote program.

I know this doesn't really count as "writing," but honestly nothing was going to get accomplished until I figured out which papers I already had and which ones I really needed to go find in the library. Also, I've been in this office for just over a year now and my filing cabinet drawers just got labeled this afternoon. A few hours sacrificed to the gods of organization, but it should pay off fairly soon in the form of knowing where the hell my references are. Plus now I don't look like a total slob, which is nice when I have students coming in for help. It's always awkward when I have to move a pile of folders before I can look at their work.

No comments: