Saturday, November 14, 2009

quality

Yesterday I hit another trough in my regular cycle of exercise-related sanity. Mostly because I've spent three days this week grading until 1 am and therefore didn't have the energy to get up the next morning and work out. Too many days like that, and I'm bemoaning my horrible physical state and making Partner generally crazy. And then I make popcorn, because if I'm going to be out of shape I might as well do it right.

So the question now becomes: is it worth dropping yet another pile of money for the one piece of gym equipment I use all the time, to have at home where I can use it regardless of the hour? And then I could ditch my gym membership, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the total money pile required for this purchase.

Partner is pushing to buy, probably because he's tired of dealing with my insanity, and he argues for a "quality of life" value. Also, I'll soon be turning a number that ends with zero...that might make me feel less guilty about spending so much cash on myself.

3 comments:

T. said...

I vote no, and not only because I suspect you'd put it in the basement and basements creep me out :)

I vote no because there's always some reason not to exercise, and it's better to get to the heart of why that is, if you can. You might work out more if it's convenient, or... you might not, and that's an expensive gamble.

Then again, my dad has a gym-quality treadmill in his basement, loves it more than anything in the world, and uses it all the time.

EcoGeoFemme said...

I second - do you think you'll really use it consistently for years to come? If so, go for it. If you think you'll still want the other amenities at the gym (ie other equipment) then don't bother.

Can you get this equipment used?

Liberal Arts Lady said...

T, it might not go in the basement, since I suspect the ceiling is too low down there. Though the weight bench I would also buy might go there...

I think I might at least go look at the stuff in the store. I don't have much doubt I'd use it - I choose gyms by whether they have this particular machine, and it's the primary thing I do there.

The biggest roadblock I run into in terms of exercising is that if I don't manage to exercise before work, the gym is so crowded in the evening that it's hard to get access to the stuff I want to use. That problem would be eliminated. And it would also be worth doing 20-minute workouts if that was all the time I had, whereas now the trip to the gym doesn't seem to be worth it unless I'm going to be there for a while.

But yeah, these are my primary concerns as well.