Thursday, January 7, 2010

new year same old

Resolutions reso...smushions? I'm already failing at my goal to get decent amounts of sleep, which directly results in a failure to get decent amounts of exercise. Damn you new course prep! I had been lulled into a false sense of security by last term, which was my first (and only, for a while) term full of repeat courses. And so, here I am at 1:30 am finally finishing up for tomorrow's lecture and lab. Goodbye, morning exercise, I shall miss you.

This week I have new milestones - my very first research assistant started doing grunt work for me, and my very first lab-based student project will begin as well. Doing stuff! The lab not just sitting there with stuff in it! Data! Dare I dream. I also get to spend more money, which is always fun.

Today I braved the cold to go to a talk and ended up seeing some people and talking about curriculum developments and research directions with other departments. I'm actually starting to feel like a member of this community, which is nice, and a productive/useful one at that, which is even better.

Now, if only the rest of life would de-dramatize itself.

No comments: