Friday, April 23, 2010

weekend dilemmas

The weekend! This one is rare, without scheduled field trips, conferences, lab work. My seniors are wrapping stuff up, and I don't really want to get involved in things I won't have time to finish before my summer field season. Hence, the classic weekend dilemma.

Partner has one day off a week: Sunday. I am, by Friday night, sick of doing course stuff, making lectures, grading. I need a break. I want to sleep in tomorrow, work out, drink coffee, clean my disgusting house. Maybe take care of some logistical stuff, or do some writing, but I do NOT want to look at Powerpoint slides. However, because Partner has Sunday off, I want to spend that day with him. If I don't put together Monday's lectures tomorrow, I will therefore wait until Sunday night. Inevitably, Sunday night rolls around and I have two lectures to write, papers to grade, emails to respond to; I'm up until ridiculous hours of the morning, beginning the horrible cycle of my sleepless work week yet again.

I know I should suck it up and sit down to work tomorrow morning. But that is really hard to do, particularly since the last few weeks have been so brutal. My brain is tired. I'll bet against my own ability to break the cycle, no matter how much sense it would make to do so.

2 comments:

Unbalanced Reaction said...

We're almost done! (I say that WAAAAAY too frequently these days to convince myself to keep pushing through.)

Liberal Arts Lady said...

Hah! The final countdown...tell me about it!