Wednesday, September 15, 2010

pleasantly surprised

I expected this term to be the worst incarnation of a Term of Doom. Here is what I'm doing:

- teaching a half-credit overload
- teaching a new freshman writing class
- getting married
- co-coordinating a conference session (but it was combined with something else, so my workload went down significantly)
- supervising two honors students and two senior research students
- supervising three independent study students
- writing my first NSF grant
- stupidly expecting to get any data analysis done
- serving on three faculty committees
- stepping back into my role as the primary household member who does all the cooking and shopping and cleaning, as Partner goes into his overtime-heavy portion of the year
- trying to actually exercise 6 out of every 7 days

I'm probably just being overly optimistic at this point, but so far...not as horrible as expected. Why? Well, mainly I think it's because my lecture course is a repeat (lectures are already written!), and my new freshman class is CAKE compared to writing lectures for a technical science course. I can handle discussion and writing review; much less effort than putting together lecture slides. My overload is also a repeat, mostly discussion and grading.

Considering that the grant-writing is just beginning, I'm probably still going to suffer this term. But now I have a little bit of hope that I might survive the experience.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Glad things are going well so far! Fingers crossed they'll continue that way.