Monday, November 8, 2010

things I can't post on Facebook

To my students.

Fucking little plagiarizing bastards. I hate that I grade your crap all term and now I get a paper full of straight paragraphs from someone else's book, and I have to fail you and I've wasted how many damned hours this term trying to teach you something. Fuck.

This is college, people. I know you have issues. I know SLAC in particular, and probably most schools who aren't Harvard et al., go out of their way to bend to your whims and make you feel loved and whatever, but this term I am totally burned out on your personal problems and parental issues and if you try one more time to make me feel bad for you I will scream.

Also, when I go out of my way to make concessions for your personal issues, your scheduling conflicts, your whatever, don't even email me three hours before you want to do the makeup activity and ask for the worksheet. On a weekend. When I'm out of town. And if that lack of courtesy on my part pisses you off, great. I'll fail you, no worries.

To the few of you who have shown a real interest in improving your work and actually learning something, thank you. I love you, I really do, and you make the rest of it worth while, even if sometimes I can only focus on the few idiots who make my life difficult.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

What boggles my mind is the amount of time and energy some students put into cheating/plagiarizing. If they would just put that time into doing actual work, they would do so much better and might actually learn something!

Liberal Arts Lady said...

Seriously. Sigh.