Friday, April 29, 2011

frustration

Partner is home from work again with back issues, which is something I can't help him with at all and is therefore hard for me to handle. It's also frustrating that this is exactly why he was planning to quit his job, but he isn't quitting quite yet and so he just has to wait it out and then go back to work. Or, at least that is the current plan - enough of this and retirement will be coming early. Says I.

I've been a little depressed lately by my research progress. A few projects have been started and then fallen through, others are well on their way but not at publishable stages yet. Yet others are in the planning stages. I've maintained a decent publication rate thus far, but I think it's going to be falling off soon if things don't start panning out more quickly - and given the fact that my summer fieldwork has been canceled for this year, I'm not sure how likely that might be.

I think part of my problem is that my comparison point is graduate school. What had I accomplished by the end of year three? I know that's not the best comparison, but I also don't think it's so horrible for the first few years considering that my first few years of grad school were spent taking classes. And from a publication perspective, I'd be behind right now.

I just have to keep reminding myself that having the summer at home is a benefit, since I'll have the time to write and solve this problem before it even begins.

No comments: