Friday, June 17, 2011

research fail

I have a student working in the lab this summer, which will probably be great once I get them comfortable with the work they're doing. Things are slow right now because we still need to get some samples through the setup phases before I can walk the student through the data collection. Until then, they get paid mostly to wait to press buttons and watch reactions and let things cool.

I feel like this is a waste of the money they're being paid, but the other things I have that they could do would take significant additional training, or would require me to reformat my insane data sheets so that someone else could understand them. Every time I open up a spreadsheet with the intention of handing off this work, I stare at it for a few minutes and give up, since it would be so much easier if I just did the data entry myself.

I fail at undergraduate research, not to mention making students do my work.

No comments: